PAN card is a government identification proof, which is issued by the Indian Income Tax Department, so that they can keep track of any individual’s tax returns and financial records. PAN card consists of a unique 10-digit alphanumeric number and each digit possess a specific meaning. This PAN card is valid throughout our lifetime and this can also be used as a photo identification card. Permanent account number is the acronym of PAN. This PAN card can be availed by both Indian and foreign nationals, who are interested in starting business in India. This PAN card can also be produced as a proof while purchasing a SIM card, opening a bank account, getting a gas connection, etc. Including this, the change in address of the individual will not affect the PAN card.
Many individuals would like to surrender their PAN card for various reasons. However, there are various procedures for surrendering their PAN card, depending on the reasons.
Step by Step Procedure for Surrendering the Duplicate PAN Card:
When an individual receives a duplicate PAN Card, due to some reasons, it is illegal for them to have two PAN cards. During this situation, it is required for the individual to return the duplicate PAN card. Below are the steps for surrendering a duplicate PAN card.
Online Procedure for Surrendering a Duplicate PAN Card:
- Visit the official website of the Income tax department and click on the ‘Surrender Duplicate PAN’ tab.
- Enter the details of your duplicate PAN card, the one you wish to return in this page.
- In this page, you will also be asked for your personal details like Name, Email ID, phone number, etc.
- Click on ‘Submit’ button once you finish entering the mandatory details.
- You will be redirected to further process, once you ‘Submit’ the form.
Offline Procedure for Surrendering a Duplicate PAN Card
- You have to write a letter to the Assessing officer under whose jurisdiction your PAN card is being allotted.
- You have to enter the personal details like Name, Phone number, Email ID, Date of Birth, etc.
- After completing the process, you have to post the form or give in person the form to the nearest tax office.
- Once you submit the form, you will be provided with an acknowledgement form for surrendering the Duplicate PAN card.
Step by Step Procedure for Surrendering the PAN Card of the Deceased:
- If the PAN card holder, is deceased, then their relatives should return their PAN card along with the copy of the reason for death and a copy of the Death certificate.
- This form should be to the Income Tax officer, who is taking care of the particular jurisdiction.
- Including the death certificate, the letter should also mention the details like PAN number, Name and Date of Birth of the deceased.
Step by Step Procedure for Surrendering the PAN Card in Use:
Even though it is not advised to surrender the PAN card, an individual is using, if they wish to return their card due to unavoidable situations, they have to follow the below Steps:
- Individual have to submit a letter to the Income Tax Assessing Officer of the particular jurisdiction.
- This letter should include details like PAN number, Date of Birth, Name, Father’ Name, etc.
- We can also surrender the PAN card, if an individual is planning on settling abroad.