PAN Card, is Permanent Account Number, issued by Indian Income Tax Department, to the Indian citizens, so that they can pay their income taxes. With the help of this they can also track their financial records online. This PAN card can also be used as a photo identification proof. They can also be used a proof, while booking tickets, getting gas connection, etc. This PAN card consists of a 10-digit unique alphanumeric number, which is used for easy identification. Each and every digit has unique significance. Individual, who has a monthly income are bound to apply for PAN card, so that they can pay their taxes on time. Including this, PAN card should also be used while applying for a bank account and while performing high value transactions.
In this article, we are going to discuss about the step by step procedure for getting a PAN card. Since this has become one of the mandatory document, for Indian citizens or whoever has business interest in India, it is good to know the procedure beforehand.
Step by Step Procedure for getting a PAN Card:
Method 1: Online Procedure:
- Step 1: You have to visit the official page of the Income Tax department, by clicking the below link.
- Step 2: In this page, you will find application type drop down, you have to select ‘New PAN – Indian Citizen (Form 49A)’ option, if you are an Indian citizen.
- Step 3: Under the option ‘Category’, you have to select ‘INDIVIDUAL’ option.
- Step 4: You have to fill in your details like Name Title, Surname, First Name, Middle Name, Date of Birth, Email ID and Mobile Number.
- Step 5: Once you have provided the details, you have to enter the verification code in the provided space.
- Step 6: You will be redirected to another page, where you will be asked your address details. You have to provide the address, for which you are having a valid identity proof.
- Step 7: Once you provide all your personal information, you have to review the application form before submitting.
- Step 8: When you click on ‘Submit’ button, you will be provided with a 15-digit acknowledgement number. You should save the acknowledgement form and print it.
- Step 9: You have to attach the acknowledgement form with signed copies of Proof of Identity, Proof of Address and proof of Date of Birth, along with your recent photograph.
- Step 10: In addition to this, you have to make a payment for the following:
- Processing Fee for PAN card dispatched in India: INR 105
- Processing Fee for PAN card dispatched outside India: INR 971
You can make the payment via Demand Draft, Credit Card, Debit Card or through Net Banking. After making the payment, you have take print out of the payment receipt as well.
- Step 11: Once you have taken copies of original ID proofs signed them, payment receipt and print out of application form, you have to post them to the NSDL office, in the below address.
|Income Tax PAN Services Unit|
NSDL e-Governance Infrastructure Limited
5th Floor, Mantri Sterling, Plot No: 341
Survey No: 997/8, Model Colony
Near Deep Bunglow Chowk, Pune – 411016
Method 2: Offline Procedure:
- Step 1: Individuals must print the PAN application form ‘Form 49A’, if they are Indian citizens and ‘Form 49AA’, if they are foreign nationals.
- Step 2: Once you take the print out the form, you have to provide your details using a black pen and in block letters.
- Step 3: Individuals should attest their recent passport size photograph in the application form and provide their signature, with in the provided box. If the individual, is providing a thumb impression, then he or she has to get the application form attested by a gazetted officer or Notary public.
- Step 4: After entering your details in the application form, you have to attach the attested copies of the identification proof, address proof and date of birth proof, along with the application.
- Step 5: You have to pay the processing fee of INR 105, if the PAN card should be dispatched within Indian and INR 971, if the PAN card should be dispatched outside India.
Things to Remember While Submitting Application of PAN:
- Individual has to send the acknowledgement along with the application form, within 15 days of his registration online.
- Individuals can also track the status of their PAN card online, by using the ‘Status Track for PAN application’.
- The individuals also must not possess a valid identification proof, address proof and Date of Birth proof.
- In the envelop, the user has to mention the following, ‘APPLICATION FOR PAN- Acknowledgement Number’.