A Debit Card is a card issued by the bank to its customers who are having an account in the organization. This card can be used for purchasing any items or to withdraw cash from our account. Unlike credit card, the customer has to have a balance in your account, so that you can make the purchases with the debit card. These debit cards come with a validity period of 10 years. Instead of carrying cash around in our pocket, we can carry this debit card, when we go for purchasing. Even if the card gets stolen, we will able to block this by calling the customer care centre, so that the illegal use by any other person is blocked.
Some of the famous debit card issuer banks are American Express, Discover Card, Master Card and Visa. However, there are numerous other banks that are popular in a particular region or a country. These debit cards can be used in three different systems like Online Debit System, Offline Debit System and Electronic Pulse system. In each system, we can use the debit card in different procedure. In Online system, you have to give the PIN number while doing the transaction, in Offline mode, you can use it similar to that of a credit card.
In this article, we are going to discuss about the steps to get Debit card. However, the procedure may slightly vary for each and every bank. This article gives an overview on the steps involved in purchasing a debit card.
Step by Step Procedure Applying Debit Card:
Method 1: By Opening a Checking Account
- Step 1: Before applying for a Debit card, user has to open a checking account in the bank, by providing all the necessary information, important documents and your photo. You can submit Aadhaar Card, Ration card, Driving License and PAN Card, for photo identification and address proof. Including this, you also have to provide your job details and also provide a valid phone number and an email address.
- Step 2: With the documents prepared, get the application form from the desired bank and fill in the required details and attach the identification proofs. Submit the application form along with proofs to the bank. During this time, you can also request them for Debit card and Internet banking facilities.
- Step 3: Once you open the account, your Debit card along with a PIN number and your internet banking details will be sent to the specified address. Once you receive the Debit card, you have to go to the nearby ATM of the particular bank. In the ATM, swipe the card with the PIN provided by the bank and you have to change the PIN Number for security reasons. Once you have done this, you are ready to use the debit card.
Method 2: Approaching the Bank where you Already Have an Account
- Step 1: When you already have an account in a bank and you have not applied for debit card, you have to approach your nearest branch and ask for the debit card application form. Since you have already submitted the necessary documents for opening a bank account, you are not required to submit the document once again for getting the debit card.
- Step 2: Your card will be sent to you with the PIN number, to the address specified by you while opening your account. You can also get two debit cards, if your account is a joint account.